Koi ponds are growing in popularity for both residential and commercial properties. They are especially popular in warm climates such as Florida, although koi can survive the cold with an accommodating koi pond design. Wherever you have a koi pond, there are many things you need to consider when planning and installing one. Here are a few tips about koi pond design and installation:
- Depth- Koi need more than the shallow two-foot depth of a standard backyard pond water feature. To give them room to choose the water temperature they desire at any given time, consider a koi pond design with areas at least three to four feet deep.
- Filtration- You’ll thank yourself later if you put extra effort and investment into the filtration system. Be sure the filtration system you choose is sufficient for the size of your koi pond design.
- Koi quantity- Be sure your koi pond design is adequate for the number of koi you plan to have. A crowded pond leads to unhealthy koi.
- Plant quantity- Water plants add a beautiful touch to your koi pond design, but too many plans can be problematic. If you overcrowd your koi pond with plants, you won’t be able to see your koi, and you’ll adversely block sunlight and affect oxygen levels.
- Style- Consider the style you want for your koi pond design. Some prefer a natural setting that blends in with the landscaping, whereas others enjoy a modern setting.
If you are looking for someone in the Orlando, Florida area whom you can consult with for koi pond design as a DIYer or you would prefer the entire koi pond installation be done by a professional, reach out to us at Florida Water Gardens by FWG Designs, LLC. Let our construction and design experts assist you in making sure you get the water feature construction project of your dreams built right. Call today to learn more.